Q: "I just purchased & received two testers from Safe Home Products and I have a question. I have one of them in my basement which is approximately 1700 sq.feet. Will the tester detect any gas in that area or just a small area around the tester? Also, I only have outlets near the ground, will gas by the ceiling be detected? Thank you.Deb "
Answer: Deb, I looked up your order. I see that you purchased a Safe-T-Alert 40-411 gas alarm and a Safety Siren Combination CO and Combustible gas alarm.
- Both monitors have combustible gas sensors.
- Your basement is too large for either one or both units to detect gas laks in the entire area of 1700 square feet.
- The placement of the gas alarms depends upon whether your gas supply is from natural gas or propane gas.
- For detecting a propane leak, the unit must be mounted both near the floor and near the propane using appliance.
- For detecting a natural gas leak, the unit must be mounted near the ceiling and near the natural gas using appliance.
- Proper installation of the direct plug in unit may require using an extension cord or installing an electrical outlet in the proper place.
I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to contact us for more information.