Question about the Sensaphone IMS-1000 Remote Monitoring System.
Q: "I have a computer room I need to monitor for humidity, power and temperature. There is no land line in that room. Is the IMS-1000 system the best choice? What sensors will I need to add? How does this unit mount? I have computer racks in the room. Thanks. Ed."
Answer: Sensaphone designed the IMS or Infrastructure Monitoring System for situations like yours where there is no land line available. It does require an ethernet network. And you can rack mount this monitor into your computer rack. Dimensions (H x W x D): 1.75" x 14" x 7"
The IMS-1000 series of products includes the following key features:
- Eight sensor inputs to monitor environmental conditions and/or alarm contacts from other computer equipment such as UPS systems.
- 10/100BASE-T Ethernet port.
- Internal battery backup for uninterrupted performance.
- Compact design allows rack-mount, wall-mount, or tabletop installation.
- Embedded web page to program and manage your IMS-1000 system.
Per Sensaphone's manual for the IMS-1000:
"The system is designed to be a comprehensive method of ensuring 100% up-time of your computer systems. By monitoring all aspects of your computer room, including environmental conditions and network equipment, the system will keep you informed of the status of your infrastructure. Monitored conditions can include temperature levels, humidity levels, line voltage, leak detection, server response, UPS systems, and more. The system allows the computer professional to be notified immediately of any detected problems. Notification can occur via voice telephone call, pager, e-mail, fax or snmp trap. An internal battery backup system insures that the unit will continue to run if main power fails."
Sensaphone does caution: "Caution: The IMS sensors are not TCP/IP devices and therefore should not be connected directly to any wiring infrastructure that is connected to network equipment such as a hub, router, or switch. Sensors use RJ-45 plugs and cables similar to thoseused with Ethernet devices".
Environmental Sensors Needed for Your Computer Room Include:
- Sensaphone Temperature Sensor 4810 for IMS-1000,4000 The temperature sensor connects to the IMS-1000 via an RJ-45 cable (e.g. CAT5 cable). The connection from the sensor to the IMS-1000 can utilize your existing network wiring infrastructure. For example, the sensor may be installed in another room or another floor. Connect the sensor to your structured wiring network via an RJ-45 jack. At the other end, connect a patch cable from your structured wiring patch panel directly to the IMS-1000 environment input.
- Sensaphone Humidity Sensor 4820 for IMS-1000,4000 The IMS-4820 Room Humidity Sensor operates between 32° to 122°F (0° to 50°C)and Humidity ranges of 0 to 100% RH. Accuracy is ± 5%. This unit also connects with RJ-45 cable (not included).
- Sensaphone 4840 External Power Failure Sensor for IMS-1000, 4000 This will handle your worries about power outages. The range is 0 to 250 VAC, 50/60 Hz with an accuracy of ± 2%. The power connection is via a Universal IEC-320 power inlet.
There are several other options as well. These are the:
If you have additional questions, please contact us. Sensaphone does update sensors and remote monitors periodically so product codes and specifications may change.
Thanks for your question.