Question about the difference between a 4 inch Trion Air Bear Filter Pleated Furnace Filter and the Safe Home Duo Air Purify Furnace Filter 16x25x4 Inch.
Q; "How does the Safe Home Duo4 differ from the pleated 4 inch Trion Air Bear brand filter I currently use in my HVAC system? We are an allergic family but do not want the expensive, high maintenance HVAC systems with HEPA filters or electronic air cleaners. We were looking at the Envirosept Electronic Furnace Panel but those electronic furnace panels come only for one inch furnace slots. Thanks. Tim."
Answer: Websites that sell the Trion Air Bear Filters note the high efficiency of filtration of the Trion Air Bear whole-house media air cleaners because of synthetic filter media and extended surface pleats that let the air pass straight through the pleats. The consensus is that using highly efficient air filters can increase HVAC equipment life (the motor, etc. remain cleaner) and save money.
Trio Air Bear and Safe Home Duo4 Filter Similarities:
- Synthetic filter media
- Extended surface pleats
- Omni-directional air flow
- MERV 7 to 8 rating: Note, using a high MERV rated filter on an older furnace with a smaller furnace motor is not advised.
- Fit tightly in filter slot: air must go through filter
Trion Air Bear and Safe Home Duo4 Filter Differences:
- Air Bear has metal wires
- Safe Home™ Duo4 has Formaldesorb™ impregnated into the media filter so odors, dust, pollen and chemicals are stay in the filter as air flows through it.
So why choose the Safe Home Duo4 Filter over the Trion Air Bear? The major reason is the Formaldesorb™ addition to the media material. Formaldesorb™ combines activated carbon and potassium permanganate. Chemicals like activated carbon and potassium permanganate make the filter media more efficient as they absorb smoke and chemicals as well as neutralize odors. So the air in your home or office is cleaner and smells fresher. The only other air purifier units that use this combination are the Miracle Air PM-400 Commercial Grade Air Purifier. The MiracleAir HEPA Filtration System is portable and has an activated carbon pre-filter, 82 sq. feet of hospital grade HEPA plus a 15 pound carbon/potassium permanganate filter cartridge that has 12 lbs of activated carbon and 3 pounds of alumina potassium permanganate. So using the Safe Home™ Duo4 gives you a similar combination of carbon and potassium permanganate to reduces odors and volatile organic chemicals in a furnace filter.
Safe Home Duo4 Filter Specifications:
- Thickness: 4 inches, also fits 5 inch filter slots
- Captures up to 95% of common household allergens for allergy relief
- Eliminates odors from pets, paint, cooking, and more
- Uses high density carbon and advanced compounds plus synthetic filter media
- Highly effective and affordable: Uses the same materials that protect critical environments in most hospitals
- MERV 7 polyester white ASHRAE rated allergen filter plus an industrial chemical and odor filter,
- Replacement intervals: every 3 to 6 months depending upon air quality of building.
- Fits tightly in slot due to foam around entire outside of filter.
- 300 grams per square foot of a 50/50 activated carbon and FormaldaSorb™ blend
- Made in USA
- Note: This furnace filter is not a control device for radon, carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide.
- Limited Warranty: Free of manufacturing and material defects . If product is found defective within 30 days of purchase, it will be replaced at no additional charge.
- Product is not packaged for sale outside of the United States
Many furnace filters remove dust and dirt, only one aspect of indoor air pollution. Levels of gases from cleaning products, formaldehyde out-gassing from laminated wood, VOC's i.e volatile organic compounds etc. are higher than in the past because of increased sealing and insulation of homes and businesses. For those with allergies and chronic medical problems, indoor air pollution is uncomfortable if not dangerous. The EPA ranks indoor air as often a greater risk than outdoor pollution and water contamination. Allergy and asthma symptoms, as well as long term health problems, are often caused or triggered by these common gases. In many areas, polluted indoor air is a greater health threat than outdoor air or contaminated water.
Thank you for your question. If your allergy symptoms require more, you may want to add a supplemental air purifier system. Consider the Airpura P600-W HEPA,VOC, UV HVAC Whole House Air Purifier which filters air even when the furnace blower is off. This unit pulls air from your return air ducts and passes it through HEPA filtration and a VOC filter while the UV light works to kill bacteria and viruses.
Thanks for your question.