Question about allergy air filters for cars.
Q: "We live in LA. Even with the car windows closed and the AC on, we find our allergies active and the air quality poor. What car air purifiers do you suggest that would thoroughly clean the air in an enclosed car or truck. Thanks. Juli."
Answer; If you want an air filtration system, our suggestions are either of the two Amaircare units described below.
Amaircare XR100 Auto Air Filter Purifier w/12V Plug or the Roomaid Amaircare HEPA Air Purifier in Slate.Concerned about VOC's? Buy the Roomaid in Slate color with optional VOC cartridge. Use in your car or truck with the optional 12 Volt DC Auto Cord Kit for Roomaid Air Purifier The Roomaid also comes in Pure White and in Pure White with VOC Cartridge
The Amaircare XR100 is made especially for use in vehicles. There is an optional AC cord package available. The strong points of this unit include:
- Three Stage Filtration Process: Air is drawn into the top of the unit and filters through a three-stage filter cartridge. Purified air is then discharged in all directions through the screened opening around the circumference of the unit.
Stage 1: Large particles, odors: Activated carbon 200% impregnated non-woven, fire retardant, polyester filter media.
Stage 2: Sub-micron particles: Electret charged filter media attracts and holds sub-micron particles in the air such as dust, pollen, cigarette smoke, bacteria, vehicle emissions, etc.
Stage 3: V.O.C.'s: Air exits the main filter cartridge and passes through a zeolite impregnated non-woven, polyester filter. This final air filtration stage absorbs additional gaseous contaminants.
- Amaircare XR-100 has a high efficiency backward-curved motor/blower for 12 volt or 120 volts use (AC-DC adapter is not included.) Filter rate is 20 cubic feet per minute or 1,200 cubic feet per hour. In the typical car, the hourly air turnover is 1000% or up to ten air exchanges hourly. Better quality air occurs with every cycle.
- Easy to Install. Takes Up Virtually No Space. The Amaircare XR-100 easily mounts to a car seat back with supplied mounting strap.
- Easy Plug-in Cigarette Lighter Adapter: Adapter has a seven foot cord.
- Powerful Motor/Fan: Motors are run tested for 35,000 hours of operation.
- Small and Compact: Use in homes, offices or hotels (with Optional AC adapter).
- Contemporary Styling: Modern design in dark gray color.
Amaircare Automobile Air Filtration System Specifications:
- U.L. and C.S.A. Approved.
- Physical Size: 3.5" High x 8" Diameter
- Weight: 2.1 pounds. (Shipping weight - 4 lbs.)
- Motor: Single speed –425mA.
- Motor/fan housing: 24 gauge steel, Powder coated baked enamel finish.
- Filter cartridge: injection molded polystyrene
- Air Flow: 20 cfm .
- Coverage: 75 to 150 square feet
- 4.5 watts when AC adapter is used.
- 10 air changes per hour in a typical automobile.
- Efficiency: 50.00% efficient at 0.03 microns.
- Note: Item is returnable only for replacement if defective due to mechanical issues.
Cigarette lighter adapter with 7 ft. cord (Included).
Strap for mounting the unit to the car seat back. (Included).
120V AC to 12V DC adapter with 7 ft. cord (Optional).
U.L. and C.S.A. Approved.
5 year manufacturer's warranty.
The Amaircare Roomaid is much larger. This unit is versatile: can be put on the floor of a car or truck and operated by the optional 12V power converter
Roomaid HEPA Air Filtration System With VOC Features:
- HEPA Filter lasts two to five years and removes 99.97% of particulate matter.
- Activated Carbon Filter lasts six months to a year and removes odors and fumes.
- Optional Auto Adapter Kit allows you to strap the Roomaid air purifier into your car, truck, or RV and plug it into the cigarette lighter and avoid toxic VOC emissions from automobiles.
- Optional VOC Canister Upgrade for heavy duty removal of chemicals and odors.
- Energy efficient, affordable, and relatively quiet.
- Lightweight and portable at only five pounds.
- Perfect for automobiles, offices, hotel rooms, business trips, and vacations.
- Integrated Seals at the top and bottom of the Roomaid prevent leaks and ensure that all air gets cleaned.
- The Roomaid features a contemporary look and a baked enamel finish that is more durable than plastic.
- Comes with Two Washable Pre-Filters to capture large particles.
- Optional Annual Filter Kit contains two foam pre-filters and three activated carbon filters.
Roomaid HEPA Air Filtration System with VOC Specifications:
Class: Portable HEPA Filtration System
Delivered Airflow: 20-40 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute)
Dimensions: 8.5" round, 7.5" high
Product Weight (lbs): 6 lbs
Control: 3 position, 2 speed switch
Power Consumption: 4.5 watts Outflow: 360°
Colors: Pure White and Slate Gray
Note: Item is returnable only for replacement if defective due to mechanical issues.
There are replacement filters available for both car air filtration units. The main differences are the size, the weight, the number of speeds, and the type of filters used. The Roomaid uses a true HEPA filter plus a VOC filter. The XR-100 uses a three stage media filter with activated carbon, zeolite and an electret charged filter medi. Prices and filter replacement costs, of course, are different as well.
Thank you for your question. Either unit would reduce allergy symptoms and clean the air in your car. We sell more of the XR-100 units for vehicles because they take up less space and hang on the back of a car seat.