Q: "Dear Customer Service, I have the following questions regarding your hats.
I have the following questions regarding your hats:
1) If I want max sun protection, which one is better: sunday afternoon adventure hat(GCSDWAHMCS) or sport hat (GCSDWSHLCS)?:
2) What are the materials for the hat? cotton, nylon,..
3) can I machine-wash w/ cold water? . will the hat shrink if I tumble dry in dryer?
4) How thick are material above top of head: 1 layer?
5) Is there styrofoam insert inside hat if it suddenly rains?
6) Do you have picture of back of hat?
Answer: Thank you for your question. No one has before asked us to compare them. I have the Adventure Hat, have had it since 2001 when it was available only in California at a few places. I got the one with the scarf and quickly removed it as I found it a bother. The hat is so lightweight you hardly know you are wearing it.
Here are quick answers to your questions in bold.
1) If I want max sun protection, which one is better: sunday afternoon adventure hat(GCSDWAHMCS) or sport hat (GCSDWSHLCS)?: the Adventure Hat covers more of your neck, ears.
2) What are the materials for the hat? cotton, nylon,...100% nylon
3) can I machine-wash w/ cold water? No, handwash. will the hat shrink if I tumble dry in dryer? The nylon won't. However the styrofoam might crumble. Machine drying is not recommended. not advised.
4) How thick are material above top of head: 1 layer? 2 layers except for the mesh vents. Both hats are lined. That and the tight weave are what give the hats the sun protection.
5) Is there styrofoam insert inside hat if it suddenly rains? styrofoam insert is to keep the hat floating if it blows off while you are canoeing. It won't keep your head dry.
6) Do you have picture of back of hat? unfortunately, we don't have a picture of the back of the hat. You can get a good idea by going to these webpages and taking a look at the sides.
Unless noted, these are features of both hats:
- 100% Nylon construction except for decorative braid (none on the sport hat)
- 2 layer constructions: nylon lined with a darker fabric to help protect eyes and make vision more comfortable.
- 50 UPF (Mesh vents not rated).
- 2 mesh vents, one on each side of the hat
- Wide brim to protect the face. The Adventure hat has a 4 inch flexilbe brim. The Sport Hat brim is also 4 inches and tapers over the ears and overlaps the 5 inch neck veil.
- Neck veil: Adventure hat has a 7.5 inch neck and ear veil with a grip tape on the veil so you can shorten it off the neck.. Sport hat veil covers only the neck and is 5 inches long.
- Moisture wicking sweatband
- Portability: the Sport hat is a smaller profile, easier to pack,
- Sport hat: 2.2 oz, Adventure hat: 3 oz.
- Sizing hole in the back of sport hat for pony tails.
- Handwash cold, line dry, no iron care
- Chin strap with cord lock to keep hat from blowing away.
If you plan to wear the hat for golf or tennis, I recommend the sport hat as the larger brim of the Adventure hat may block your vision.
Thanks for your question.