Question about choosing a survival kit and survival supplies for home use.
Q:"We are a family of 4 who live on an island off the coast of North Carolina. Typically we have some advance warning that hurricane force winds are on the way. We need emergency water and food in case power stays off for more than a few days. Our fear is that our generator may fail and we'll have nothing but canned food. Or we may have to evacuate inland and will have trouble finding food. What are your recommendations? Thanks. Sue."
Answer: For a family of 4, the Small Business/Family Support Emergency Survival Kit would give your family a complete survival kit for 5 people for up to 3 days. You could supplement this with food you have on hand. The food bars and water packets have a 5 year shelf life.
This 3 Day/5 Person Survival Kit Contents Include:
- food bars which are Kosher and meet Halal standards
- water rations
- emergency blankets
- emergency guidebook
- work gloves
- infectious waste bags
- playing cards
- water purification tablets
- duct tape
- utility bags
- carrying case
- tissue packs
- AM/FM radio with battery
- flashlights with batteries
- survival knife kit
- pry bar
- adhesive bandages
- instant cold pack
- alcohol wipes
- adhesive tapes
- sanitary pads
- anti-diarrhea tablets
- dust masks
- tongue depressors
- elastic bandage
- toothache kit
- first aid cream
- gauze pads
- gauze rolls
You could also purchase the food bars and water packets separately. For example, a good choice would be the Survivor Industries Mainstay 3600 Emergency Food Bars, 90 Bars This package contains 90 food bars that each supply 400 calories. So depending upon the size of the person and his/her activity level, 3 to 6 bars per day would keep this person with proper nutrition. If you were remaining at home,
Mainstay 3600 Emergency Food Bar Key Benefits:
- 5 year Shelf Life
- Non-Thirst Provoking
- Withstands Temperatures of -40° F to 300°F (-40°C to 149°C)
- Ready to Eat: Each package contains 9 pre-measured 400 calorie meals.
- Individualized Portions eliminate the messy breaking-up that occurs with other bars
- Allows for on-land emergency consumption in a high-stress active situation.
- Contains no cholesterol or tropical oils.
- Meets the US Coast Guard standards (160.046/23/0). Its new modern packaging even meets the stringent guidelines set by the Department of Defense (SOLAS 74/83).
- Enriched with vitamins and minerals exceeding the RDA requirements.
- Pleasant lemon flavor which appeals to everyone.
- Mainstay™ meets the dictates for Halal and is Kosher
I suggest that you either purchase the Survivor Industries Mainstay Emergency Drinking Water Pack, 4.2 Oz, 60/CS or an AquaPod Kit Deluxe Emergency Water Storage Kit. Minimum water requirements for survival are two of the 4.2 ounce packets per day. The AquaPod Kit is unique: prior to losing power from your well, you place this kit in a bathtub and fill it with cold water.
Each Aqua Pod Deluxe Kit Contains:
- 3 disposable tub liners, each 40 inches by 80 inches. This will fit in a Jacuzzi tub or standard 5 feet tub. An average tub holds 70 gallons.
- 3 disposable tie clamps to hold the bag to water spigot during the approximate 10 minute time that it takes to fill the bag. (Dependent upon water pressure.)
- 1 reusable pump with locking system. Locks the pump to the liner bag.
The AquaPod liner is made from FDA approved plastic, i.e. LDPE Plastic (Low Density Polyethylene Plastic). The shelf life is up to 10 years depending upon storage. Made in the USA.
I also recommend you purchase a copy of Wallace Guidebook for Emergency Care and Survival. This inexpensive book may literally save your life.
Thank you for your questions: