Q: "Where is this unit made? Why is it better than similar units? I work in an environment where desks are packed tightly into small cubicles. Although there is a no smoking policy, there is odor from some co-workers who smoke. Of course in the winter, there is coughing and sneezing from colds. Our office is in a manufacturing plant so things can get dirty fast. Thanks. Bill."
Answer: The advantages of this Black MiracleAir PM 400 or the Miracle Air PM400 White HEPA Air Filter Units are that they are made for heavy duty use for years and years. Plus they are made in the USA in Minnesota so a purchase supports the USA economy.
There are three stages with the Miracle Air, which cleans and sanitizes the air by trapping pollutants, allergens, dust and other particles with a true HEPA filter. We are talking about 99.97% @ .3μ with 82 sq. ft. of surface area. Add to that powerful odor control capabilities utilizing 15 lbs. of activated charcoal plus optimal airflow in all conditions with the infinitely variable speed motor/blower. The is a completely portable and easy to move air purifier that has four heavy duty casters included.
Here are the technical specifications
- AIRFLOW: 0-400 CFM* infinitely variable speed control
- PREFILTER: Impregnated carbon prefilter
- HEPA FILTER: True HEPA with 82 sq. ft. of filtration area
- ODOR CONTROL: 15 pounds activated carbon. Other blends available.
- FAN/MOTOR: Dynamically balanced precision-built motor/blower for smooth vibration-free operation
- SOUND LEVEL: At 3 meters, 64 dBA on high, 35 dBA on low
- POWER CONSUMPTION: 250 Watts at maximum airflow
- VOLTAGE REQUIRED: 120 Volts, 2 amps, 60Hz or 240 Volts, 1 amp, 50/60Hz (special order)
- SIZE: 15.6 W x 15.6 D x 22.5 H
- WEIGHT: 49 lbs, Approximate shipping weight 57 lbs.
- HOUSING FINISH: Durable powder-coated enamel finish
- Limited Warranty - Air Quality Engineering, Inc. warrants this equipment against manufacturer’s defects in parts and workmanship for three full years.
Te MiracleAir™ is seems expensive compared to many brands seen at the big box stores. It is both affordable and low maintenance when you consider that this large true HEPA filter that doesn’t require frequent replacement. That means compared to other HEPA units, the MiracleAir™ has four times the media for filter life and can last sixteen times longer than the competition. Plus,
with its dynamically balanced external rotor motor, you enjoy quiet, smooth operation, so you barely know it’s there.
As Air Quality Engineering points out:
Air Quality Engineering’s MiracleAir is a residential air cleaner designed for home and provides 4 stages of air filtration to address these indoor air pollutants:
- Medical ImagePrefilter – coarse particulate prefilter removes larger airborne contaminants that would otherwise result in prematurely shortened primary filter life.
- HEPA – Surgical grade 99.97% HEPA air filtration ensures maximum particulate filtration efficiency.
- Granular activated carbon – Most activated carbon available in residential air cleaners on the market. 15 pounds of actual activated carbon! This removes gases, vapors, VOCs and other harmful non-particulates from your home.
When you do need replacement parts, the HEPA, Pre-filter, etc. are all USA made and of the highest quality.
- MiracleAir Carbon/Potassium Permanganate Filterremoves odors, gases, chemical, toxins and vapors (i.e. formaldehyde, benzene, toluene, xylene, etc.). Carbon potassium permanganate air filters need to be inspected and replaced annually. Replace every 1 to 5 years depending on the environment where the Miracle Air PM-400 is used. Each filter contains 12 pounds of activated carbon and 3 pounds of alumina potassium permanganate
- Miracle Air PM-400 Replacement Carbon Pre-Filter is sn impregnated, activated carbon pre-filter that traps large particles like dust and pet hairs, protecting the HEPA filter and extending its life. Change this activated carbon impregnated prefilter every 4 to 6 months. Protect the HEPA and carbon potassium permanganate filter cartridges. Carbon pre-filter size is 14" x 15" x 60".
- Replacement HEPA Filter for Miracle Air PM-400is a MERV 17. Replace HEPA filter according to amount of dust or dirt in the room. Inspect at least every 6 months. Always replace this air filter if you turn the unit off for three days or more as the moisture in the filter can breed bacteria. Quantity of Filter Media: 82 Square feet of hospital grade HEPA media.Efficiency: 99.97% efficient at .3 microns.
Thank you for your questions. Also consider requesting your company install the Safe Home Air Filters in their HVAC system and return air grilles if that is possible. Those will help with dirt, dust, allergen and odor control.