Question about why the Safe Home Duo 16 x 25 x 1 furnace filter is a better furnace filter than a washable metal one or a fiberglass disposable one.
Q: "Please explain why this furnace filter is superior to a washable metal furnace filter or a disposable fiberglass disposable furnace filter. Thanks. Sam
Answer: Differences are several:
- All air must pass through the Safe Home Duo furnace filter because the frame is internal. The twin media covering the frame are self-sealing. To install, push the Safe Home filter into the one inch slot. The soft filter media seals against all 4 edges.
- Each Safe Home Duo filter has two types of media: one layer is for dust, dirt and pollen; the second layer also contains an odor and formaldehyde absorbing layer. Judged to be 95% effective at filtering out dust, dirt, allergens, etc.
- Compare 95% effectiveness of the Duo with either an all metal filter or one made of fiberglass. Fiberglass tend to clog quickly with large dirt particles, restricting air flow while letting small particles go through. These smaller particles can include mold and bacteria. Fiberglass are often rated at 2% effective while non-electrostatic are rated at 4% effective or less.
- Neither the metal washable filter nor the disposable fiberglass filter contains activated carbon and potassium permanganate, the filter media for odors and chemicals such as formaldehyde and paint fumes.
- The Safe Home Duo is a MERV 8 rated filter made in the USA: inexpensive metal and fiberglass filters are often MERV 2 or 3.
- No mess. No time spent washing filters. Just put the dirty Duo filter into the garbage and replace with a clean one every 3 to 4 months or more often if yours is an exceptionally dirty environment.
Installation Instructions: The white side of the filter should face incoming air. In most systems, the white side should face away from the air handler or furnace equipment. Air should enter the white side, which traps allergens, and exit through the dark side, which traps gases and odors.
Note: Check with your HVAC technician to verify that your system is able enough to handle the density of a MERV 8 filter before purchasing this or any other MERV 8 filter. Install this MERV 8 with Air Flow First Going through the White Media. Made in USA.
Thank you for your question. We sell the Safe Home Duo in many sizes. We also sell the Safe Home Duo Air Purify Furnace Filter 20x20x4 In. and other sizes in the 4 inch furnace filters. These thicker furnace filters also have self-sealing edges around a 4 inch furnace filter core to filter out allergens with the Formaldesorb carbon and potassium permanganate.
Thank you for your question.