Q: "Is the Bird-X BirdNet PE-Plus the correct bird net to install to cover the rafters of a salt storage building in north western Pennsylvania? Birds are roosting and causing a mess with bird droppings. We have the contract and want to make sure this is the correct product. Also any hints for installing it? The building is about 80 feet by 90 feet. Trucks move in and out all day during winter, which lasted a long time this year! How many pieces do we need? The specs call for an mesh opening between 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch and must withstand 40 lbs per square inch break strength. Thanks. Tom."
Answer: I phoned the manufacturer to be sure (and then phoned you back as you know). Bird-X emphasized that this bird netting is what you need. This Bird-X BirdNet PE-Plus is the strongest bird net they sell and probably will last longer than the building. I was told that the break strength is actually based upon pounds per strand as noted below and the burst strength is a different measurement all together.
Joe noted that you will need two pieces since this comes in 100 ft lengths and is tricky to install if you try to "piece" it together. He also included a spec sheet of the possible bolts, cables, etc. you will need. Here are the Installation instructions. If there was electricity at the salt storage facility, a better choice would be a combination of sonic and ultrasonic bird repellers placed at the entrance and inside. The Super Bird Xpeller Pro and Terror Eyes or other visual deterrents would be the best choices.
Knotted Bird Netting Specifications:
- Thickness: 0.071" thick (6 strands, each 0.012" thick).
- Quality Control: filaments are twisted and knotted, pressure stretched and tightened for strength and durability.
- Mesh (hole size): 3/4"
- Color: Black.
- Waterproof: no water absorption, does not rot.
- Material: knotted polyethylene UV treated twine.
- Break strength: 52 lbs./23.6 kgs. per strand.
- Burst strength: 44 lbs/20 kgs.
- hemical Properties: Polyethylene, a paraffin hydrocarbon, is chemically inert and highly resistant to most chemicals at ordinary temperatures. High resistance to acids and alkaloids at all concentrations.
- High Temperature: 210-239°F/100-115°C.
- Low Temperature: -139 to -166°F/-95 to -110°C.
Thank you for your question and your order.