Q: "I need to know if power fails or the temperature or humidity changes in my home in Connecticut in the winter or in our motor home when we travel in the summer. We winter in Florida and take our animals with us. I live in a safe neighborhood so I am not worried about break-ins. What do you suggest?" Thanks. Calvin
Answer: I suggest you purchase the new CM712 TemperatureGuard Self-Contained Remote Monitor. Microtechnologies introduced the CM712 in late summer 2013. This replaces the VM-500-3 and VM-500-3HT units that required a land line. This is an easily set up unit suitable for computer rooms, homes, motorhomes, boats and more. You may choose to purchase two units, one for your permanent home and one for your on-the-go home. For example, if the 120VAC power in your motor home park fails or your air conditioner stops cooling, you'll know if you are shopping, etc.
The initial cost is about $600. Remember you won't have to pay for a land line. You will need a SIM card, available on a monthly basis from Microtechnologies.com, the manufacturer. Or you can get one from ATT, etc. Alerts go via the cell network. The three sensors for temperature, power and humidity are built in. If you want you can add a dry contact door sensor. In an RV park, you probably won't need that. The "tweets" are sent right to your cell phone or computer. An internal battery back-up means alerts continue if power fails.
Text Message Alarm Notices Include:
Temperature or humidity goes out of limits
- A door is opened (if you have that sensor installed)
- Water is detected. (if you have that sensor installed)
- When the alarm condition is corrected.
- If an alarm condition is not corrected.
- Power outage
- Low internal or external battery.
Dual power operation:
120vac with its included wall mount power supply.
12vdc source for use in cars, trucks, campers, boats. Requires 12 Adapter Not Included.
SIM Plan Details:
A SIM card plan is required for the CM712 to connect to the cell network. Two options are: purchase a T-Mobile SIM card through TemperatureGuard.com (Curent cost in 2013 $150 per year or $12.50 per month with an automatic renewal). Or purchase a SIM from AT&T™ or from any GSM cell service provider worldwide. No SIM card is included with the TemperatureGuard unit.
- Quad-band EGSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz
- Works on the AT&T™and T-Mobile™ cell networks.
- Program up to four cell phone numbers to send alarm text messages to.
- Program an ID text so if you have more than one CM712 you'll know which one is in alarm.
- Programmable high and low temperature limits for each sensor
- Programmable alarm time delay for each sensor.
- Handy reminder feature will send additional text messages if an alarm condition continues.
- Internal rechargeable battery backup. Approximately 6 hours.
- Ability to connect external battery for even longer life when power is out
- Wall mount enclosure.
One internal temperature sensor
Measuring range -4°F to 154°F
Accuracy: +-.4 degrees
Resolution: 1 degree
One internal humidity sensor
Measuring range: 0 to 100% RH
Accuracy: +- 3%
Antenna bulkhead fitting: SMA FemaleCM712
Operating Temperature Range: 32°F to 125°F
Enclosure Dimensions: 5.625" x 3.250" x 1.375"
Plug-in wall transformer included
Facts and Questions:
Q: What is the minimum I need to buy to have a basic monitoring system?
A: One CM712 and a SIM plan.
Q: What type of SIM card does the CM712 use?
A: 1.8V or 3.0V SIM card and complies with the Phase 2 GSM 11.14 standard
Thank you for your question. Please contact us for further information.