Q:" Hi I am in need of some expertise here. I am interested in window guards to prevent theft through an open window. If I was to purchase this item ,how do they prevent theft on windows that are open?" A US Navy Chief Gunner Wife.
Answer: The security window guards that we sell are mounted on the inside of the home, apartment or other building. Guards can be mounted to protect only the window opening or the entire window. There are three styles: fixed, removable and swing open. The fixed are not for escape: in some places they are banned and in others they are required in non-sleeping rooms for safety. The Max guards remove completely from the mounting bars. The swing open units do just that.
The two kinds that open have a hole for either a clip or a lock so they cannot be opened from outside the building. The bar spacings vary from 3.5 to 4 inches so a hand could get between the bars but removing anything of any size would be difficult. And removing the clip or lock would be difficult to impossible from the outside. The bars are made of steel. The diameter/size varies from a round bar to the angle type bar of the MAX guards.
The Max guard is available only in one size, the 1175.
John Sterling 1175 Features
- Dual locking brackets plus fire safety release pin option.
- Heavy angular design resists bolt cutters.
- 3.5 inches between window bars.
- Bar Options: 5 bar
- Width Options: 24-42 inches
- Angular Flat Bar Design : Resists bolt cutters.
- Mounting Options: Horizontal or vertical installations
- Stackable: Fit units side by side or vertical stack to fit window width or height.
- Standard Color: Off White.
- Construction: Solid steel window guards
- Strength Test : Tested to withstand 150 lb. force at maximum extended width.
- Operational Type: Lift off emergency exit window guards.
- Unique Hinge Brackets : Allow security guard to lift off when open. Mounting screws are protected when window guard is closed.
- 4 Mounting Brackets Per Guard: Engage locking brackets simultaneously at top and bottom of guard.
- Unique anti-lift brackets can be mounted at top or bottom to hold window guard securely to both brackets with only one fire safety pin or padlock. Release guard by lifting slightly before swinging open.
- One Lock Guard Per Guard: Protects against bolt cutter.
- One Anti-Lift Latch Per Guard
Fire Safety Release Pin: Option instead of padlock for security. Mounts high on side of window guard out of reach of small children. Requires moderate force to remove.
The 1120 series come in many sizes. The round bar diameter is 5/16 inch with a 4.5 inch space between the bars for the JS 1200 series.Please go to our website to figure out which size or sizes of guards would protect your windows. If you have questions, please send us your window measurements and types of windows and we'll guide you.
Thanks for your question.