Question about the products Amcells high capacity weight scales for weight loss programs i.e. 500 lb, 750 lb, 800 lb and 1000 lb capacity Amcells weighing scales.Q: "My office is beginning a physical fitness/weight loss program. Several of our employees are significantly obese: my guess is over 400 lbs. We need a heavy duty scale for the office and one or two employees are wanting to purchase accurate scales for home use. What do you suggest? We don't need a scale with Body Mass Index or Body Fat Index." Thanks. Teresa.
Answer: Currently, the most affordable bariatric weight scales are actually made in the USA by Scale Perfect, Amcells. These scales are truly sturdy, made for the long term. Several years ago a New York area hospital chain purchased several dozen of the Amcells 750 lb. capacity scales for use with high risk pregnancy patients. The TBS models can be countersunk into existing pits in medical offices that currently use the old fashioned Cardinal detector beam scales.
Since then, Amcells introduced a new 1000 lb. capacity scale
with a platform that is 24 inches long by 20 inches wide by 4 inches high. This scale weighs 32 pounds and is accurate to +/- 0.15 lb/0.1 Kg
. Included is an RS-232 scoreboard function: can connect to a printer, remote read-out or a large score board. Use with a RS-232 to USB adapter if required. all computers have printer ports. There are also 750 lb. capacity scales
and 500 lb. capacity scales
with slightly smaller platforms that also include the RS-232 feature.
The newest addition to the Amcells line is a combination scale that actually folds for storage. the AMC-WHS-800 This scale is versatile: use as a wheelchair scale, a bariatric scale, a small animal or larger animal scale or a shipping scale.The aluminum diamond polished deck has ramped sides. The over-sized platform: is 40 inches by 30 inches. The physical dimensions of this affordable scale when folded are 3/4 inches High x 40 Inches Wide by 38 inches long.It easily rolls on two urethane precision wheels. With a digital readout on a 39 inch post, this sturdy weighing scale is made in the USA. If you want a print out, just connect your ticket printer or slip computer to the display panel.
These are some points to consider:
- Cost: $500 to over $1200 plus shipping.
- Maximum Capacity: 500 lbs, 450 lbs or more.
- Post mounted read-out or remote read? This is a portability issue as well. The USA made Amcells scales weigh 25 pounds to about 35 pounds. The Seca 876 Flat Scale with a 550 lb. capacity that weighs about 8 lbs. The base is 12 inches by 12 inches by 2.3 inches with graduation of 0.2 lbs <>0.5 lb. The USA Made Befour PS-6600 scale has a 500 lb capacity, has Accuracy: +/-0.1 lb. (+/-0.1 kg.), a Platform Size: 18" x 16" x 1.5", a Scale Weight: 13 lbs.and a Readout Display: ¾" LED.
- Will there be a permanent place for this scale to sit? Is this a private place so that only the nurse or weight counselor and the person being weighed can see the weight numbers? Is theft a concern for you? (Consider the weights and sizes for storage)'
- Will you be connecting this scale to a computer for recording data? Then you need one with as RS-232 connection.
- Weight accuracy. Amcells' Accuracy: 500 lb. capacity scale: +/- 0.1 lb/0.05 K,750 lb capacity scale: +/- 0.15 lb/0.1 K, 1000 lb. capacity scale: +/- 0.15 lb/0.1 Kg.
- Minimum acceptable platform size. 13"(L) x 13"(W) x 2.25"(H) is the base of the least expensive Amcells scale. The problem with that size is that many larger people must spread their feet apart to balance. With a wider base, the scale itself is higher off the floor but the base allows for a foot spread.
- Wall mounted grab bars or not? We sell these as well in several sizes. Sometimes heavier persons or the elderly need to grasp onto a grab bar as they get on or off a scale. We also sell scales with a built-in grab bar: however, these are much more expensive to purchase.
So, to summarize you can choose from one of many bariatric medical scales by Amcells such as the 500 Lb Weight Watchers Scale Remote Read Scale or a variety of scales from Seca, Befour or other manufacturers.
Thanks for your question and best of good health to all of you.