Question about using Grip On® with a epoxy coated concrete floor or polyaspartic flooring coating.
Q: " I need to put an anti-slip coating on epoxy coated concrete flooring or polyaspartic coated flooring I install. Will Grip On® work?" Thanks. Sam
Answer: I contacted the manufacturer for clarification on this interesting question. The answer is no. For an anti-slip floor, Grip On will not work after epoxy or polyaspartic coatings are applied to concret: the coatings fill the pores. What Grip On anti-slip floor solution does is fill in the pores invisibly to increase the resistance to slipping and falling. So Grip On® would not work in your situation. Also if you paint a concrete floor, the same situation occurs as the paint fills the pores.
One solution to your problem is to add a color dye to the concrete and use a water based xylene sealer: you want nothing to seal the pores of the floor as then it cannot be treated with Grip On®.
Why does Grip On work? All natural materials such as concrete, ceramic, marble, granite, terrazzo, quarry tile, slate, porcelain tile and bathtubs have natural voids in them. The larger the void, the more the surface of that material is slip resistant. This void creates a tread for you to walk on. Ceramic or glazed tile, as well as porcelain, are coated to create a shiny finished look to a floor or fixture. These coatings fill in the natural voids up to 70%. When you walk on the dry surface, you would not notice that the voids are filled. But, when the surface is wet, the water fills in the remaining 30% of the void and that is why a floor becomes slippery not allowing any space between the water and the bottom of your foot creating a hydroplane effect. Grip On® microscopically treats the surface of your floor or fixture in a way that brings back the natural void via the treads in the surface material. So, when a floor or bathtub is wet, it still allows you to feel surefooted. Grip On® Anti Slip Solution is a clear, chemical treatment that increases the co-efficient of friction and the safety of the surface when wet.
We sell Grip On® in various sizes from 4 oz bottles to drums. Among the sizes are
We also sell Grip On in a pallet of four 55 gallon barrels. With the drums, the lid stays on. What you do is purchase a vacuum or hose pump from your local hardware store. The lid has one 4 inch hole and one 2 inch hole so you can pump the Grip On out into containers you use for your applicators for spreading.
Grip On®'s Simple Application Instructions:
Clean and rinse area.
Pour Grip On™ on surface.
Mop or sponge area liberally.
Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
Rinse off with clean water.
Area is now ready to use.
After treatment, do not wax. Wax fills in the enhanced read created by the Grip On™ treatment. Reapply every 2 years for bath and shower areas. Reapply every year for traffic areas.
Additional Questions and Answers about Grip On®:
Q: How does Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution work?
A: Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution is a process that increases the coefficient of friction on a tile floor or a porcelain bathtub. This is not a coating that can wear off: this is a process that creates a tread design on the mineral surface itself.
Q: Does the treated surface look or feel any different?
A: There is no discernible change in appearance. However, when wet, the feeling is SAFE!
Q: Why is there a need for Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution?
A: Slip/Fall accidents are the nation's #2 accidental killer. Over 9 million disabling injuries every year. Business insurance rates are skyrocketing. Increases of 25% annually are common.
Q: How long is the Grip On® guarantee?
A: 2 years for bathtubs and showers. 1 year for traffic areas.
Q: Is Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution difficult to apply?
A: No, Grip On® is easy to apply. One worker can treat hard surfaces at the rate of 600 square feet per hour, per worker. Bathtubs require less than 10 minutes with no strenuous work.
Q: Does Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution kill germs?
A: The chemical in Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution is known to inhibit bacterial and fungi growth and to kill some bacteria and fungi. Test data is being gathered on germ killing and will be available at a later date.
Q: If my floor is sealed, can I still use Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution?
A: Yes, Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution works through most floor seals and effectively applies the “invisible tread.” Two applications may be required for sealed floors.
Q: What if there is grease on my floor?
A: Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution loosens grease, making it easier to remove any grease on your floor. More than one application may be required. Once again, it may take more than one application. Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution will loosen all hardened grease on your floor.
Q: Can I wax over the Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution?
A: NO. Wax fills in the “invisible tread” that Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution placed on your floor. We recommend a dry buff to bring up the shine.
Q: Is Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution dangerous?
A: The level of danger is similar to household bleach. Similar cautions are on each bottle. Keep out of reach of children. Avoid eye contact. Wear rubber gloves. Use in ventilated area. Can be fatal if swallowed. Do not use on wood, vinyls or plastics
Grip On Anti-Slip Solution Specifications:
- Use on tile floors, bathtubs, showers and on almost all hard surfaces, such as ceramic tile, glazed brick, marble, polished stone, terrazzo, river rock, concrete, and quarry tile.
- Increases the anti-slip CEF by 100% to 500%.
- Chemical Name: Hydroxy Acetic Acid.
- Physical State: Clear yellow, mild odor.
- pH: 7.6.
- Caution: Keep out of reach of children. Avoid eye contact. Wear rubber gloves. Use in ventilated area. Can be fatal if swallowed. Do not use on wood, vinyls or plastics.
- Warranty: 1 year limited manufacturer's warranty on traffic areas; 2 years on bathtubs and showers. If the customer installed Grip On® Anti-Slip Solution, the company will send additional material to the customer at no cost excluding shipping
- Disclaimer: GRIP ON® ANTI-SLIP SOLUTION helps to reduce the risk of slip/fall accidents, but Safety Seal Products Corp its' agents and representatives do not warrant or guarantee to the customer, or any other person or party, against the Occurrence of slip/falls, or other accidents, personal injury, or property damage of any nature. Accidents and falls may occur on treated areas, notwithstanding its treatment with Grip On® ANTI-SLIP SOLUTION and customer AGREES to indemnify and hold harmless Advanced Floor Care Products and its agents and representatives, free and harmless from any damages, claims, demands or causes of action arising in connection with or brought by anyone allegedly slipping, falling, tripping, or stumbling on treated area.