Question about the Fi-Shock Economy Pet Deterrent Electric Fence Kit
Question: "I am calling because I have a problem with the neighborhood cats. As many as 5 or 6 at a time come into my yard, dig up the flower beds and use the yard as their litter box. These are not feral cats but ones that the owners let run loose. Public services were cut back here due to the economy. Animal control tells me it is my problem. Please tell me how this works. I have tried the organic repellents you spread on the ground but these have to be re-applied regularly due to the rain." Thanks, Debbie
Answer: In Coralville, IA, the laws are that cats are not allowed to run loose. (One of our cats was actually from a litter born under our house in April 2010. We didn't know they were there until a neighbor told us. Animal control got the Mom and my Jack socialized the kittens and found them homes.) In our city, animal control comes and sets traps.
This electric fence is a deterrent for dogs, raccoons, possums and other animals that are not jumpers. As we talked, I learned that you have never owned a cat. This low voltage fence plugs into a standard outlet, works continuously, and can protect up to about 100 linear feet of area. The problem is that cats can easily jump over a fence. In fact, our Siamese cat once jumped 9 feet from a standing position and landed on the top of a cupboard. And the cats easily jump over the tall expandable dog gates we use to keep the dogs out of the living room and dining room. Our two cats are de-clawed house cats and never run loose outside.
The options I suggest are:
- Get cat traps from the animal control officer or your local humane society. Trap the cats and take them to the shelter. Tuna fish works well. Then the owners have to deal with paying to get their animals back and perhaps will keep them indoors.
- Buy your own stray cat trap like this one from Havahart. Catch and take them to the shelter
- OR some better ideas, i.e. electronic repellers that are battery operated and/or AC operated.
These products emit ultrasounds that cats do not like. (The Yardgard has multiple adjustments; the Koolatron repeller is set only for cats and dogs. ) Set up two of them up in your backyard where you say the cats go and keep the cats out without trapping them. (Of course then they are your other neighbors' problems. You can just send them along to Safe Home Products just as our customers do when they use mole chaser stakes and drive the moles next door!)
First, the Yardgard. This Yardgard has settings to deter about any animal and birds, too. Run it on AC or use the battery mode. With cats, I recommend the AC, continuous on, mode rather than the motion activated mode as cats are swift running. Mount it at the cats' head level. With the yard you have, two is definitely the lower limit of units you need. These units last for years and years without maintenance. Just make sure they are not in standing water. If you should have a squirrel problem in your attic, rats in attic, garage or crawl space, a deer problem, etc, you can adjust this unit to handle those animal pests as well.
Best results: Mount at animal's head level. Low (sonic) settings may be audible to humans with good high frequency hearing. If this occurs, select a higher frequency. Note: Birds may be repelled by some frequencies of the Yardgard depending upon the height at which it is mounted.
Yard Guard Technical specifications:
- Dimensions: 6.75" x 5.25" x 3.5"
- Weight: 1 pound (shipping weight 2 pounds)
- Coverage: 4,000 sq. ft. (278.7 sq. meters)
- Frequency range: 15,000 - 25,000 Hz (adjustable)
- Sound pressure: 90 dB at 3 feet
- Electricity costs: Less than $0.25 per month
- Working current: <200 mA
- Power: 4 "C" batteries or AC adapter (included).
- Weather proof.
Motion sensor activation: 35 x 70 feet
Pattern: Oval pattern of sound is about 50 ft. wide at the widest and extends about 80 feet out. The lower the sound frequency, the wider the coverage.
- Dial positions: Dogs and cats, skunks, opossums, armadillos, raccoons, deer, insects, rodents and bats.
In CONT AC ONLY mode: Continuous operation using AC power.
Power Light: Red light behind clear lens activates when motion sensor is activated. Note: if left on continuous one, this red power light is on continuously.
- Compliance: EPA establishment No. 058480-TWN-001. CE marked.
- YardGard includes: Mountable plastic unit, 110vAC power adapter (with 6 ft cord), and extension wire cord (63 ft).
- Continuous or motion-sensor modes.
- Multiple sonic and ultrasonic settings.
- 6 month limited manufacturer's warranty.
- Outdoor use recommended. Use indoors only in rarely occupied areas.
Second, the Catstop. The Catstop is made especially to keep cats away. We also sell a 120VAC adapter for the Catstop so you don't have to be concerned about a dead battery. (With the traffic you've had in your yard, the adapter would be a good idea.) The unit includes a 50 ft cord.
- Ultra sound based concept: Safe, effective cat pest control without chemicals, visually objectionable barriers or shock.
- Infrared detection range: 80 degrees across a 20 ft distance in front of the device.
- Passive ultrasonic detector: Operates unattended. Activates when movement is detected.
- Operates 24/7: CatStop protects day and night for up to 6 months (or 4900+ activations) on one 9 volt battery.
- Silently creates a temporary sound 'barrier': Works where fences are not allowed or are impractical. Keeps neighborhood cats from violating your space without drawing attention to your efforts.
- Simple Installation: Easily extend coverage with additional CatStops.
- Power supply: 9V battery (not included).
- Output: 124 dB.
- Sensor warm up time = 40-60 seconds when battery is first inserted.When you activate the unit, the red light will come on for 3 seconds, and then turn off. It takes approximately 8 seconds for it to re-charge between activation
- Operational time when activated = 3 seconds.
- Delay between activations: about 8 seconds.
- Output frequency: sweeping from 21-25 kHz.
- Fully water resistant.
- 2 year warranty from manufacturer
A third option is the Koolatron Outdoor Cat and Dog Repeller with AC Adapter As the Catstop, this Koolatron Repeller has ultrasonic frequencies that bother but do not harm cats. This unit also works for dogs.
Cat and Dog Repeller Features :
Built-in focusing cone: Focuses sound for greater effective distance.
Passive Infra Red (PIR) motion sensor: located behind the front frosted white housing.
Test button: ultrasonic function is confirmed when button pushed as sound is lowered to an audible level.
Compact unobtrusive design: green color
Durable ABS housing: shock proof, can withstand harsh outdoor weather conditions.
Waterproof to IPX4 standard: international standard that means the Lentek Cat and Dog Repeller is protected against damage from the elements.
Perfect for yards, gardens, flowerbeds, near garbage, etc.,
Swivel motion mounting bracket: allows easy and quick range direction changes.
Wall Mounting Bracket: Adjustable angle allows for 180 degree direction adjustment.
Cat and Dog Repeller Specifications :
Advanced ultrasonic sirens:
Ultrasonic sound: 80 to 115dB
Frequency sweep: 18 kHz to 24 kHz
Duration of ultrasonic bursts: 5 seconds.
Cone range: 70 degree cone range for primary ultrasonic coverage area.
Distance range: Up to 85 feet.
Power on LED lights: confirms unit is active and on when lit.
Wall mount bracket: install on wall or any vertical surface with two long screws (included). Attach unit connector to mounted bracket using bolt and nut provided.
Power: Two (2) 9V batteries (not included)
Battery life: approximately 2000 sound releases.
Optional AC adapter: included. Adapter must be kept in a dry location if used as main power supply. Use only outdoor rated extension cords that accept the Cat and Dog Repeller plug. Keep all cords away from heat, oil and sharp edges. Always keep the connection between the ultrasonic repeller and the extension cord dry. Unplug before cleaning the animal repeller
Caution: Use outdoors only. Do not place near human ears or use in confined spaces or allow use by children.
Warranty: 1 Year manufacturer warranty.
Manufacturer: Lentek, Division of Koolatron
Our customers have had great success with all the electronic devices. It is rare to have a return IF the units are installed correctly and in sufficient quantity. Remember that ultrasound is more like light than audible sound: best results are line-of-sight, ultrasounc stops at hard objects and can bounce back and is absorbed by soft objects like bushes and flowers.
Good luck and thanks for your inquiry.