Q: "Which of these edge paddings would work the best to protect an outdoor children's play area? There is a rough edged "paver" type wall that is porous. We want to coer it with a black padding to keep children from injuries. Also what is the best way to attach the padding? Thanks, Matt."
Answer: For indoor use, either brand of edge cushion padding will work. The Cardinal Gates padding sticks are the same as used for hearth guard. They come 9 to a box, each pad measuring 48 inches long and 2 3/8 inch x 2 3/8 inch on the lip.The Boing padding is 39.5" long x 2.25" x 2.25" x 1/2" thick.
For outdoor usage, we recommend using the Boing padding. It is made from what is called "skin urethane." That material is a special one-piece foam material which has both a shock absorbing "inner" foam and a thick outer “skin” to protect from abrasion, UV rays, moisture and bacteria. It is designed for heavy duty use any where that there are sharp or dangerous edges, corners or surfaces. These uses include all types of recreational play areas, manufacturing and commercial, lLogistics and transportation facilities and equipment, military facilities, vehicles and equipment,medical and educational facilities, residential areas, etc.
Skin urethane Characteristics:
- Safety. It has passed or surpassed a variety of safety requirements including Compression, Toxicity etc. Safety testing documentation available upon request. It has anti-bacterial properties and passes ASTM G21 testing for a variety of bacteria. Our Boing skin urethane products contains no PVC, lead or phthalates.
- Not Fireproof. Does not currently contain fire and smoke retardants to meet Class A fire codes.
- Durability: Durable relative to the amount and type of use. It will last many, many years if used in the manner it was designed. Longevity will be reduced by excessive or aggressive use.
- Size tolerance: Can be up to a 5% variation in the size and density of the finished product. Skin urethane is produced in a mold - one piece at a time. The "baking" forcess that lasts 30-40 minutes can be affected by temperature and humidity which will vary by season and weather variations.
- UV resistance: Indoor or outdoor use. All plastic products, even those that are UV treated, will eventually fade in the sun. The stronger the sun, the faster it fades. The darker the initial color, the stronger it fades. In addition the impact absorbing characteristics are reduced in very cold (below 32F) and very hot (over 100 F) weather. These factors will vary from region to region.
- Impact absorption: impact absorbing characteristics are reduced in very cold (below 32F) and very hot (over 100 F) weather
- Best UV resistance:4 primary colors (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow. Best not to expose to direct sunlight for extended periods.
- Standard Adhesive Installing: For most installations, use “GE-Silicone I or II". The "II" version is supposed to be the improved version.
- High Adhesion Installation: For those locations with a need for very high adhesions, use 3M VHB (Very High Bond tape)
- Aluminum reinforced strips can be attached with screws (strips are pre-drilled & we provide the screws)
- How much silicone do you need? The amount will vary with the type of surface to be protected and the degree of adhesion. As a rough estimate, you can generally attach the following numbers with a single 300ml tube:
Wall Pad - 2 to 3; or
Corner Strip - 6 to 8; or,
Jumbo Corner Guard - 12 to 14; or,
Post Pad - 1 to 2 sets
- Silicone removal: scraping with a blade or craft knife ior use DAP's Silicone-Be-Gone. Oil-based solvents do require proper ventilation and gloves.Silicone can be removed by scraping with a blade or craft knife, but that can be laborious and isn't always practical. Instead, try using a solvent that's made to remove silicone.There are a number of solvents on the market, but one of the best is Silicone-Be-Gone, a product made by DAP and developed specifically for removing silicone. It can be used both for dissolving cured silicone and for cleaning up the area around freshly applied silicone. The product takes several hours to work completely. It's also an oil-based solvent that has a noticeable odor, so use with proper ventilation. It's also a good idea to wear gloves to minimize contact with your skin. Krud Kutter, mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol also work and are safer but take more time and scraping.
Other questions about Boing Safety Pad Products:
- Can you paint Skin Urethane products? We do not offer "painting" products or services.There are some "water-based" urethane paints to which you add color pigment. You can try, for example SC115 aliphatic polyurethane coating. May require SC-80 water based primer. There is also a solvent based SC89 flexible urethane coating but it requires excellent ventilation and proper protective mask. Due to the complexity of the product,variable sizes etc, we do not get involved in the sale of such products.See www.burmanfoam.com
- How do you clean and maintain the safety padding?Under normal circumstances, little maintenance is required. Cleaning should be undertaken with normal household cleaning materials that are "non-abrasive". Limit your use of "solvent based" cleaners to the toughest cleaning jobs - follow manufacturers instructions. Unfortunately certain kinds of permanent markers like ballpoint pens and felt pens cannot be completely removed as the ink seeps into the surface layer.
- Can Skin Urethane padding be used on the floor or under playground equipment?The current shapes we offer are not designed for flooring use. The Wall Guards can be placed on the floor - but are not rated for ASTM 1292 - Safety Surfacing for Flooring.
I hope this helps with your decision. Thanks for your question