Question: How can a Floodstop water heater automatic water system save me from a flooded basement?
Q: "I don't understand the value of installing a Floodstop single appliance water shut off system on my water heater. Isn't the water heater going to leak out all 40 or 50 gallons of water anyway? Thanks. Tom."
Answer: We discussed this with our Floodstop distributor, did some on-line research and remembered our own failed water heaters over the years. As our distributor explained, water heater water loss is typically from a pin-hole leak caused by corrosion to the inside lining of the tank. With Floodstop, you can choose to daisy-chain several sensors together to extend under the tank (if raised) or on the side where the sewer drain lies. Once a FloodStop sensor detects a leak, the Floodstop valve is immediately closed. Typically this pin-hole does not get larger because the Floodstop valve closure creates a kind of vacuum within the tank so no more water escapes. This is like putting your finger over the top end of a straw with water in it. That is why it is not necessary to have a device that shuts off the gas or the electricity to the water heater.
You, the home or apartment dweller, will know you have an issue to deal with when you get home hours, days or weeks later. You'll either hear the alarm or you'll go to the sink and there is no water immediately. Once you break the vacuum, the pin hole leak will again begin to drip. By then, the owner will shut off the water and the vacuum will resume. Then you'll be shopping for a new water heater.
Among plumbers and owners of high rise condo complexes,, the Floodstop is considered to be the best choice to prevent water disasters. Unfortunately, sometimes almost brand new water heaters begin to drip. Ex. My late Mom's installed 6 years prior to her death, lasted one year before it began to leak. Luckily it was in a visible basement area and was caught before any significant damage occurred.
Floodstop Automatic Water Systems for Water Heaters Come in These Sizes:
- FloodStop Water Heater Auto Water Valve Shutoff .75IN NPT, V.4
- FloodStop 1 Inch Valve for Water Heater/Softener, FS1.00-NPT-V4
- FloodStop Auto Water Valve for Water Heater/Softener, FS1.25 NPT
- FloodStop .50 Inch Valve for Heater/Softener, FS 1/2-NPT-V4
- FloodStop Automatic Valve for Water Heater/Softener, 3/4 In.Compression
Extra moisture sensors are also available. And these new Floodstops use either 4 AA batteries and AC power or can operate only on the 4AA batteries.
All Floodstop Units Include:
- Motorized full-port stainless steel ball valve in brass valve body lined with Teflon (3/4 inch compression fittings).
- Valve meets low lead drinking water standards of all US states.
- Control unit with battery backup (4 AA batteries, not included).
- AC power adapter (or use 4 AA Batteries as primary power source).
- Water leak sensor.
- Output contact wires (2).
- Automatic Water Valve Shut Off
- UL Listed Class 2 Wall Adapter, 115AC/9VDC.
- UPC listed, full port, motorized ball valve: CNC machined.
- Motor operates at 6VDC.
- Rated 0-180 PSI. Max 250 PSI. Solid brass.
- Signal outputs: 2 normally closed.
- Alarm: beeping with mute button.
- One year limited manufacturer's warranty.
If you need quantities for a condominium or apartment complex, please contact us directly.
Thanks for your question.